- Case Study
star*dataWarehouse Supports Rapid Firm Growth and Expansion
Fish & Richardson P.C.
Fish & Richardson P.C. is a Boston-based firm with 320 attorneys located in 9 offices nationwide. Fish & Richardson specializes in Litigation, Corporate Law, and Intellectual Property law.
In 2001, the firm tasked Select* Associates with implementing star*dataWarehouse and its companion reporting suite in order to provide the necessary facts and figures to manage the firm’s rapid growth and expansion.
Fish & Richardson had the following requests when they implemented star*dataWarehouse:
- Provide a mainstream, commercially standard
environment for report and inquiry development
(i.e. SQL Server).
- Transfer the processing load for running
reports and inquiries onto a dedicated reporting
(Warehouse) SQL Server.
- Merge data from disparate databases into
one consolidated Operational Data Store (ODS)
under SQL Server. This includes Time Accounting
& Billing, General Ledger, Accounts Payable,
Payroll and Human Resources data.
- Permit data access to their Financial System
Data (LMS) from a set of structured databases
on SQL server, including an Operational Data
Store (ODS) and subject-specific data marts.
- Provide firm-wide management reporting via
Crystal Reports and the Internet to assist in
- Firm Profitability
- Timekeeper Productivity
- Timekeeper Full Time Equivalence (FTE)
- Averages Days to Bill & Collect
- Other ad-hoc reports and web services
as defined by F&R
- Firm Profitability
- Provide the infrastructure for the Fish &
Richardson Intranet Portal, where selected users
can view F&R data via a web browser.
- Protect the investment in the reporting and
inquiry systems so that they can be ported from
one Financial Application system to another
without a complete re-write.
- Create an internal firm software development environment that is physically separate from their Financial Accounting System for use by their own software engineers.
Select* Associates provided the following Data Warehousing and Reporting services:
- Data Extraction from Multiple Systems
Retrieved data from financial accounting, payroll, and human resources systems
- Data Scrubbing & Validation
Validated data from the different On Line Transaction Processing (OLTP) systems
- Data Consolidation
Consolidated data into a SQL Server-based Operational Data Store (ODS)
- Data Mart Creation
Created subject-specific data marts for reporting
- Management Report Support
Provided custom programming with Crystal Reports and Active Server pages to support the firm’s management reports
Fish & Richardson relies on star*dataWarehouse as the environment for running their mission-critical financial management reports in the areas of profitability, budgeting, time worked, and cash received.